Skip to main content

An uphill struggle

I’m fighting a massive personal battle at the moment - it’s only recently that I’ve come to terms with it, and let others know. I had a massive heart to heart with my mum about the whole situation and it broke my heart that she said it made her feel as though she’d failed me as a mother .
When it comes to eds there’s nothing anyone else can do - it feels isolating but it’s true. While people can support and offer help, at the end of the day it’s a personal thing and right now it seems like a very steep hill to climb.
Don’t get me wrong others can influence it most definitely- for better and for worse. I am so grateful for the support network I have around me and those trying their best to support. I’ve recently made new connections with others who have battled against it online - their tips and guidance have been valuable but that’s for another post. My mum has tried to help where she can, saying congratulations when she sees I’ve tried to overcome or challenge myself. Without my best friend I wouldn’t necessarily have accepted it either so, she’s had a massive part to play and is so encouraging in asking how I am. People can have a great impact - but it can make things worse too. Firstly, for me and I think many others, it’s the words people say that started the fire in the first place - I hold certain memories that I look back now and know have contributed- the little things that people have said at various points and how now I see it triggered me to this. The comments don’t stop, people talking, it just changed context. Somethings now people say or do - they patronise and make it worse. When people are too helpful or enforcing of ‘making you better’ it can lead to a stronger resistance and defence.
My fight is still early on and it’s a long way up from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banoffee Muffins Recipe Card

 

Simple Coffee-Time Biccies

Simple Coffee-Time Biccies Home lock-down has got my family going slightly stir crazy! I'm loving the extra baking and cooking time, locking myself in the kitchen whenever I can and have found some great recipes online and in the newspaper (BBC Good Food is always a favourite; there's some great pages to follow on insta too for inspiration and recipes and the telegraph food and drink section is getting bigger every day!!) While insanity is starting to hit - we're trying to keep a routine/pattern and coffee time is now a major feature! It's the really needed morning pick-me-up a chance to break from revision, gather for a chat and of course eat biscuits!! Knowing how much my family love biscuits, we go through quite a few so I found this simple recipe online and have been loving making them on a regular basis. As you can see, the measures are a bit odd - I halved the recipe and found it made plenty of perfectly sized coffee time biccies! The Recipe below is f...

Little Life Update - Lockdown

So this is all a bit strange ... on our 4th week of lockdown! To be honest, I actually really enjoyed it to start with, getting time to spend with my family that I wouldn’t have had normally, but I think it’s fair to say we’re all getting a bit fed up with it now!! Not helped by the weather changing from nice sunshine last week to rain or the fact that I’m getting ever closer to exams but the mood has definitely changed. In the first couple of weeks, to make up for some special events we were due to go to but were obviously cancelled, we had a couple evenings all round the table - I cooked a big three course meal, we all dressed up and actually had a good time! Last week, it was dad’s birthday, something to look forward to and celebrate, we tried to make it special for him with our first bbq of the season!! Always a favourite, I made all the trimmings and we had an amazing evening out in the garden! Right now, we don’t have anything to look forward to, but I’m hoping we will do somet...