Skip to main content

Upside-Down Banana Cake


Well I've been wanting to make an upside down cake for a while and 'lock-down' has given me the perfect excuse to spend more time in the kitchen!
I spotted some rather ripe bananas in the fruit bowl and made the mistake of asking my family what they thought I should make, the answers came back unanimously for a crumble 😒 - banana crumble is a family favourite, I'll share the secret recipe another time - but having made crumble a few days before I fancied trying something different and found this recipe on the BBC Good Food App (a great source for all recipes - sweet, savoury and everything in-between - it's where I get a lot of inspiration for my cooking)

Not having quite all the ingredients - of course I adapted or used similar and it tasted so good!!! While mine was still a little sloppy 😕 I've learnt for next time and would defo recommend a long bake covered with foil.

We had this fabulous and show-stoppingly impressive looking cake still warm from the oven alongside custard for dessert after a Sunday Roast 😋 but found it was just as nice cold having chilled overnight in the fridge the following day.

I halved the original recipe and found that it made around 6/8 portions of gorgeous dessert, hope you enjoy...

Recipe - For The Topping:
40g Unsalted Butter
75 g Muscovada Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Large Bananas

For the Cake Batter:
120g Plain Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cinamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
150g Golden Caster Sugar
60g Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 Eggs
3 tbsp Lemon Yogurt (the original was 75ml of soured cream - but any acidic dairy will do!)

Method:
1) Grease a deep cake tin - can be any shape or size - and line with baking parchment
2) Make the Topping: cube the butter and heat with the sugar in a small pan over a medium heat untill all melted. Add the vanilla extract and mix before removing from the stove and pouring into the lined tin. Cut the bananas and place on top of the caramel - these can be either halved length-ways or on slices as I did, its really up to you
3) Make the Cake Batter: Simply put all the measured ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a pinch of salt until the batter is smooth
4) Pour the batter over the bananas and level out with a spatula. Bake in the oven at about 180-200༌C for between 45mins and 1 hr - or until a skewer comes out clean from all angles - as it begins to brown, cover with foil.
5) Allow to cool for around 10 mins before turning out onto a flat plate.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banoffee Muffins Recipe Card

 

Little Life Update - Lockdown

So this is all a bit strange ... on our 4th week of lockdown! To be honest, I actually really enjoyed it to start with, getting time to spend with my family that I wouldn’t have had normally, but I think it’s fair to say we’re all getting a bit fed up with it now!! Not helped by the weather changing from nice sunshine last week to rain or the fact that I’m getting ever closer to exams but the mood has definitely changed. In the first couple of weeks, to make up for some special events we were due to go to but were obviously cancelled, we had a couple evenings all round the table - I cooked a big three course meal, we all dressed up and actually had a good time! Last week, it was dad’s birthday, something to look forward to and celebrate, we tried to make it special for him with our first bbq of the season!! Always a favourite, I made all the trimmings and we had an amazing evening out in the garden! Right now, we don’t have anything to look forward to, but I’m hoping we will do somet...

My Experience of AN

 My Experience of AN Anorexia affects everyone differently – while there are some common traits or symptoms how people manage/experience them and the struggles associated with the illness is unique For me anorexia developed gradually after innocent weight loss following comments about my appearance and bullying at school. These experiences have made me very wary of people around me so trusting others and building relationships is hard. Not only that but it made me highly self-conscious – a trait many ED patients share (this can be heightened in EDUs as groups form, discussions take place and paranoia becomes intense). While it was gradual in the beginning feelings of worthlessness, being unlovable and a failure triggered its development (this can again be heightened on the ward when people promise things that don’t happen, or patients compare themselves to others and believe they are getting less help or support). As with many who share this disorder, I became competitive i...